Monday, June 6, 2011

Pictures are worth a 1000 words

Again, I ran out of time to post a blog today. Cologne was AMAZING and Amanda and I are now staying with the von Stengel's in their very beautiful home in Bonn which is by the Rhine River (we can see all the beautiful and important places from our bedroom window...very cool!)
So, because it is now 12:21am (I am not feeling ANY jet lag today at all...I think I am too excited!) I am going to just post more pictures with captions of the highlights from my day :)
Cologne's town hall where we started our adventure for the day!

sampling the first cologne/perfume...Farina

drink break at Peter's

St. Martin church and colorful shops on the Rhine

Cologne Cathedral...see the tallest towers...we climbed 533 steps to the TOP!

the entombment of the 3 Wise Men!

with Robert in front of St. Peter's bell in the Cologne Cathedral tower

thanks to Amanda, Chirs, and Becky's pep talks, hand holding, and joke telling...I, who is VERY scared of heights, made it to the very top of one of the tallest churches in the world! Very glad I did because the view was amazing. 

Love that from this high up, we are now looking down on the huge cathedral!


 Lunch at the oldest brewery Fruh's beer garden...so delicious!



the fountain depicting a Cologne fairytale...the snoopy Butcher's wife found out the dwarfs who used to do all the city's work at night and when she did, the dwarfs quit working! Now, the city of Cologne must do their own work. So, I guess not many like that Butcher's wife! Ha! 
Again, many thanks to Robert and Julia for showing us around Cologne. So far, they and our hosts have been amazing to us and we are loving our new Rotary friends and very much enjoying and loving the German culture.
Now I am off to get some sleep so I can be somewhat rested for our vocational days and our social with the Rotary Club!

No comments:

Post a Comment