Saturday, July 2, 2011

Germany, can we put a lock on it?

My favorite cultural thing that I learned about Germany is this:


Here, when a couple wants to show their love is true, they get a lock and place their names/initials on it. Then, they place the lock on a bridge and throw the keys into the river below.
The place where this is most impressive is Koln. The bridge gleams gold with all the locks from afar and when you walk by or pass by on train to the main station you see the hundreds of locks.
Really is quite romantic and beautiful. Whenever I passed a bridge with a lock this month, I couldn't help[ but smile.

Other things I love:
the way they drive -I think my driving skills would be perfect here
Fanta is flavored with REAL oranges
how fresh everything is
the Purity Law
their rules for semi-trucks with mandatory breaks and no driving Sundays
walking/biking/public transport is the better way to go the majority of the time
the ice cream
the way they schedule classes for students at most schools
currents from the backyard
the flowers and flower shops
the history
AND
the wonderful hospitality and willingness to be so kind and amazing of the Germans...especially my host families.

So Germany, if it's okay with you, I'd like to put a lock on our relationship :)

No comments:

Post a Comment